Jaiden Gardfrey Obituary, Death – A 19-year-old Indianapolis man has been arrested and charged with murder following a deadly shooting that police say stemmed from a dispute over a romantic relationship involving a teenage girl.
Izayah Holland was taken into custody by the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department (IMPD) on Thursday, a day after 18-year-old Jaiden Gardfrey was shot and killed on the city’s near northwest side. According to police, Holland fired a single shot through a bedroom window, striking Gardfrey in the chest during a confrontation related to their shared involvement with a 16-year-old girl.
Timeline of the Incident
IMPD officers were dispatched around 4:30 p.m. on Wednesday, April 2, to the 900 block of West 32nd Street, near Interstate 65 and Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Street, following reports of a shooting. When officers arrived, they found Gardfrey with a gunshot wound. Emergency medical services arrived shortly after and pronounced him dead at the scene at approximately 4:45 p.m.
Detectives later learned Gardfrey had not been shot in the home where his body was found. Instead, police identified three different homes on the same block involved in the sequence of events:
-
Home 1: The location where the shooting occurred.
-
Home 2: The residence Gardfrey ran to, leaving behind traces of blood on the windows.
-
Home 3: The final home where Gardfrey collapsed and died just inside the entrance after being let in by the resident.
Crime scene investigators recovered a single spent shell casing and a tan pistol grip backstrap from outside Home 1, where detectives believe the shooting took place.
Police Investigation
Through witness interviews and forensic evidence, investigators identified a suspect known by the nickname “Zay,” later confirmed to be Izayah Holland. According to police, Holland and Gardfrey had an ongoing conflict over their mutual relationship with a 16-year-old girl. Tensions had escalated from a previous school-related altercation and continued through recent interactions.
On the day of the shooting, Holland allegedly sent threatening voice messages to the mother of Gardfrey’s child, including one that said, “I’ll kill y’all.” Later that day, he located Gardfrey and the girl inside a bedroom on West 32nd Street. According to police, Holland approached the bedroom window, opened it, and confronted the two before firing a single shot into the room, striking Gardfrey in the chest. Police say Holland attempted to fire a second time, but his gun malfunctioned.
Detectives later uncovered a photograph showing Holland holding a pistol with a tan backstrap, which matched the part found at the crime scene.
Suspect Interview and Alleged Confession
When brought in for questioning, Holland quickly began describing his version of the events. He admitted to knowing Gardfrey and confirmed his relationship with the mother of Gardfrey’s child. Holland said that he had been repeatedly trying to reach the girl, and felt ignored or blocked by her.
Police documents indicate that Holland admitted to sending the threatening message “Time to die” and then going to the girl’s home. After receiving no answer at the front door, he said he approached the bedroom window, where he saw Gardfrey inside.
Holland claimed that Gardfrey reached for a gun and pointed it at him, prompting Holland to fire in what he said was self-defense. He stated that Gardfrey fled after being shot, and though he chased him, he did not fire again because he no longer saw the alleged weapon.
However, investigators grew suspicious of Holland’s account. Detectives noted that Holland often avoided eye contact and closed his eyes during his recounting of the events, suggesting dishonesty. When pressed further, Holland requested legal counsel and ended the interview.
Witness Accounts and Charges
Police interviewed additional witnesses who stated that Gardfrey was unarmed during the incident and never posed a threat to Holland. Based on this and other evidence, authorities charged Holland with murder.
He was transported to the Marion County Jail, and while an initial court hearing has not yet been scheduled, the investigation is ongoing. As of now, official charges are pending.
Online court records show that Holland previously faced a misdemeanor trespassing charge filed in May 2024. He had received a pretrial diversion in that case.
The fatal shooting has left families and community members grappling with the senseless violence, while detectives continue to gather more information about what led to the deadly confrontation. Police have not disclosed whether the firearm allegedly used in the shooting has been recovered.